Tripping Through the Enchanted Forest

Ramblings on the winding path.

Friday, July 07, 2006

GRRRRRR

Ok, so I just have to vent. For the second time this week, I was late for work because some idiot on the road doesn't know how to drive. Can you say SigAlert? Wednesday, I sat at a dead stop (yes, ZEROmph) for 15 minutes behind an accident on my way to work. Then again today, another 15 minute dead stop followed by 20 minutes of crawling. As if that wasn't enough, It took me nearly three hours to get home tonight! Yes, I know it's Friday night, and yes, I know I'm driving through LA, but I left work at 3pm and it's only 38 miles! It normally takes me an hour if I leave at 3pm. Three hours????? What is wrong with people this week? Did they inhale too much fumes from their fireworks? Did someone tamper with the water supply? Is there a new Idiot Driver Disease making the rounds? Goddess, I hope next week is better! My knee (and my clutch) can't take much more of this.

By the way, for those of you who may not know what a SigAlert is: The term "SigAlert" was coined in the 1940s in Southern California when the LAPD began regularly notifying a local radio reporter, Loyd Sigmon, of bad car accidents. So "SigAlert" meant "alert Loyd Sigmon". A SigAlert is now defined by the LA area California Highway Patrol (made world-famous by CHiPs) as "any unplanned event that causes the closing of one lane of traffic for 30 minutes or more." Of course it can be more than one lane closed. Like today. During MY commute. Both ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home