Tripping Through the Enchanted Forest

Ramblings on the winding path.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Chasing the Muse

I do these workshops for UU churches who are searching for a new minister. I've been doing this for 9 years now, and usually do 2 or 3 of them every year.

I've got my first one of the year (church year follows school year, doncha know) coming up this Sunday. We do the Sunday service first, with the workshop afterwards. I have a couple of sermons that I normally use for this type of thing, but for some reason this time I decided to use a sermon I've only used once before, on the opposite coast. The problem is it badly needs to be rewritten. For one thing, it needs to be twice as long as it is since I'll be doing the whole sermon myself rather than splitting the sermon time with my team presenter. I'm having a hard time reworking this one. Not sure where or how to expand it. Not really sure of the tone or approach I want to use.

I'm feeling kinda frustrated with it and with myself. I know it will come together; it always does, and usually in the twelfth hour, which I hate. I hate finishing a sermon half an hour before I step into the pulpit! But the Muse strikes when She wills, and if I try to chase Her down and force Her to cough it up, she laughs and dodges out of my reach. I can almost see her with her thumbs in Her ears, fingers waggling, chanting "Neener neener neener!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home