Tripping Through the Enchanted Forest

Ramblings on the winding path.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

I did it...

I've been self-employed full-time as a sign language interpreter since 1995. I've really enjoyed the ability to make my own schedule, which has allowed me to take care of family stuff and travel for some of my volunteer activities. For most of that time, the income was steady and fairly good. Then the economy plunged, the war in Iraq started, and for some reason, there was less work available. After a while of not being able to pay my bills, I gave in and started working as an independent contractor for one company (which I had resisted working for even when my friends went over there). I've been there for almost a year and a half now, and I've been able to catch up on bills (thanks to steady work and a regular paycheck). It's a pretty good gig, and I'm able to work in a really supportive environment with other highly skilled interpreters, and I don't have to drive around town all day long - just drive to one office and stay there all day! My car says thankya. I've been wanting to go on staff for a while, but some as-yet-unresolved financial issues have prevented that.

So a couple of months ago, my boss walks into the breakroom and says "Domestic partners can get health insurance starting January 1." That got me thinking about not just going on staff, but going full-time so we could get the benefits. I had a sit-down with the boss and went over some details, then went home and talked to the wife. Even with the cut in hourly pay, we thought it would be worth it to have the benefits, and to have taxes taken out of my check (closing an 11-year cycle of ongoing IRS debt, which has contributed a great deal of stress to my life for most of that time). I spent some time on the phone with a lovely rep at the IRS, who had to forward the request to a supervisor for approval, and waited 3 weeks for a response. With a payment arrangement in place, I went back to the boss and picked up the application. It took me a few days, but I turned it in yesterday. I'll have to pee in a cup sometime next week, and then we just wait for headquarters to approve everything. I could be a full-time employee by the end of the month. Yikes! Have I mentioned that I haven't been a full-time employee anywhere since 1995?????

But the benefits will be most welcome. I haven't had health insurance for three years, and I badly need some dental work too. So does the wife. Having insurance will definitely reduce my stress levels. Maybe the biggest reduction will be getting out from under the spectre of accumulating tax debt, something that has hounded me for years, trying everything to get out from under it. There just weren't full-time interpreter positions (with reasonable pay - I don't want to live in my car) around until a couple of years ago. Thank Goddess for the opportunity.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Virginia said...

Congratulations!

Peace, Virginia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home